Things to expect if you are an experienced climber visiting Hub for the first time
- You should allocate at least 20 minutes extra time to your first visit. You will experience detailed orientations for Autobelays and Bouldering. Your safety is our first priority.
- Hub enforces a no bare foot policy and a shirts-always-on policy
- Food and drink (other than H2O) are not allowed beyond the reception station
- Everyone needs to sign a waiver to enter, even spectators. Be sure to bring identification with you on your first visit. A valid driver’s license or similar photo ID that includes your date of birth is best.
Orientations and tests are transferable between Hub locations. If you have an orientation, test or lesson at one Hub location it will be valid in the other location.
Hub orientations and testing procedures may seem more rigorous than those employed at other indoor climbing facilities. Although you may know much of the content, there will likely be some helpful safety reminders for you.
Also please note that rope skills & belay training from another gym will not be accepted. There are no “refresher” courses offered. The integrity of Hub’s certification system is dependent upon all visitors receiving the same information and being evaluated using the same processes.
Please fill out the online waiver BEFORE you visit.
In order to belay at Hub Climbing you will need to pass our Belay Safety Test.
- Duration ~10 minutes
- 2 person minimum. You must take the test with a partner.
- Cost: $5.00 + HST if proof of accreditation from another gym or guide is not available. This test is free for those who present a valid picture ID and a valid accreditation card from another climbing centre in Canada or the United States, or with proof that the climber has completed outdoor climbing courses from a qualified guide (ACMG, FQME, or European cards will be accepted at the discretion of Hub staff).
- Belay tests are available during limited hours. Please schedule your slot at this link
- This test requires demonstration of the skills taught in Hub’s 1 Hour Introductory Lesson (currently available only in Markham)
- You’ll need to properly wear and inspect your harness, tie and inspect figure 8, figure 8 followthrough, and stopper knots, and properly a thorough safety check on one’s climbing partner, belay and lower your climber using a Petzl Grigri.
- Figure 8 knots are not pre-tied, and Grigris must be attached to the belayer’s harness.
- If you’re unfamiliar with any of the concepts listed above or need a refresher, book a Top Rope Belay Lesson (coming soon!)
- Passing this test permits you to belay at all Hub Climbing locations. This certification is not transferable to other climbing gyms or outdoor climbing.
- Ages 16* and up. If you are unable to pass the test, you may test again on your next visit.
- We recommend coming in at least 3 hours before the facility closes to ensure you still have time to climb after passing the test.
*If belayer is under 18, a valid Hub Stripes test required prior to taking this belay test
**$2.50 for replacement climbing certification tags
Lead Climbing and Lead Belay Test
- Before leading in the Hub facility, you must pass our lead test. Lead certification from other facilities do not qualify you at Hub Climbing.
- You will be tested on safety related aspects of lead climbing. The test will include demonstrating your understanding and knowledge of wearing a harness, knots, proper clipping, clipping errors, body positioning, climbing stance, falling, belaying, rope management, catching.
- The fee for the test is $17.50 plus HST. This fee is not refundable.
- The price is discounted to $12.50 plus HST for climbers who present a valid picture ID and a valid accreditation LEAD CLIMBING from another climbing center in Canada or the United States, or with proof that the climber has completed outdoor climbing courses from a qualified guide (ACMG, FQME, or European cards will be accepted at the discretion of Hub staff).
- The lead test must be done in pairs or you must bring a Hub certified lead belayer on your test with a maximum 35% weight difference.
- Hub Climbing does not provide or rent lead equipment. Please bring your own lead equipment including a dynamic rope (at least 40 meters), grigri and carabiner.
- Prior to lead climbing you will be asked to sign a lead waiver as there are unique risks with lead climbing. This certification is not transferable to other climbing gyms or outdoor climbing.
Age: 16 +
If under 18 you must have valid stripes test and already have top rope certification at our facility.
Time: 30 minutes
**$2.50 for replacement climbing certification tags
If you are unfamiliar with any of the concepts mentioned above, please schedule a lead course.
Lead Climbing Course
email us at email@example.com to book
LEAD CLIMBING COURSE $215.00 / HUB MEMBER DISCOUNT $170.00 – prices plus HST
- Must be booked at least 7 days in advance
- Two 3-hour lessons
- This class is run in groups of 4 or 6 people at a time
Those taking this class are expected to provide their own equipment:
- a dynamic climbing rope (at least 40m)
- a GriGri by Petzl with locking carabiner (cross loading prevention recommended)
- we do not accept ATCs
At the completion of the Lead Climbing Course, a lead test will be scheduled in order that participants can demonstrate that they have retained what they have learned. There is no charge for the Lead test for those who have taken their Lead Climbing Course at Hub Climbing. Completing the lead course does not guarantee that participants will pass the lead test.
Please only sign up when you meet these requirements:
- You are experienced with Top Rope climbing and also have a partner (maximum 35% weight difference).
- You have sufficient strength/endurance to climb 8 to 10 routes in the 5.7 to 5.9 range during each 3-hour session.
- You are able to onsight 5.9 and redpoint 5.10- at our Mississauga facility. There may be some variation in grading between our facilities, We recommend that you climb at our Mississauga facility prior to signing up, to ensure that you can complete a 5.9.
Our lessons are designed to prepare climbers to lead climb and belay indoors only. Those interested in climbing outdoors will need further instruction. We strongly recommend hiring a properly-accredited professional outdoor climbing instructor to learn the additional skills needed to climb safely outdoors.